The first holidaymakers arrived in the resort of Tschiertschen in the summer of 1892, before there was even a road to Chur. The road connecting Bad Passugg to Tschiertschen was built three years later, in 1895. The new road with its post-coach traffic and the sheltered location with its ideal climatic conditions created favourable conditions for the idyllic mountain village to become a high-altitude spa resort.
Just two years later, in 1897, Christian Hold of Arosa built the Alpina hotel with around 40 beds at the beautiful vantage point above the village of Tschiertschen. Originally the building only had one row of balconies. The Alpina hotel was so successful that in 1913 Hold added an almost matching extension and a second row of balconies, providing 60 beds in all.
In the summer the owner, Michel Hold, used to lease the hotel to Mr Brenn and later to the couple S. Ackermann-von Ins. The former casserole cook Jakob Wiesner took over as head chef and became the tenant from 1927 to 1937. The hotel boasted central heating and running water on all floors. Wiesner was succeeded by Victor E. Pierroz-Ritter from western Switzerland from 1937 to 1939. During the war the hotel stood empty for a while, until it was used as a detention camp and refugee home in 1944-45.
In December 1946 Adam Stocker (1914–1989), who had previously worked as a chef in the Gasthaus Central and the Hotel Edelweiss, bought the hotel from Michel Hold. Until 1939 he had worked as a chef in the Hotel Carlton Elite in Zurich. He and his wife Barbara Stocker-Hartmann ran the Alpina up to 1973, when they passed the lease to their son Andreas Stocker-Vinzens and his wife Esther. Ownership was transferred to them in 1978. Andreas Stocker-Vinzens undertook further improvements to the hotel in 1984-85.
In 2001 Marina Sciamanna took over the hotel. She ran it on the basis of an innovative concept as a friends-of-nature house for cost conscious Dutch guests. In 2008, for health reasons, she handed over management of the hotel to her son-in-law, Tobias Alderliesten. He succeeded in steadily increasing the number of bookings every year.
Committed guests from Tschiertschen drew the hotel to the attention of Malaysian entrepreneur Ah Khing Teo. He acquired it in April 2013. The Alpina Estate AG, Chur, set up specifically for this purpose, commissioned the Grisons company Fanzun AG, certified architects and engineers, and members of the Swiss Society of Engineers and Architects, to carefully restore the impressive building in 2014/15 as a historic hotel in the style of 1913. The level of comfort has been raised to modern standards, and a spa was added.
The Alpina Mountain Resort & Spa is now the gem on the south side of the Schanfigg valley, a meeting place for bon vivants with style. Tschiertschen is confidently reassuming its rightful place in the tourist landscape of the Grisons.